Friday, April 24, 2015

GemGlam! Week 4: Lapis Lazuli, The Water Witch

This is it, guys! The Grand Finale! This is the fourth and last week of Gem Glam April and we're bringing it right back around to avant-garde! First off:


My look last week was inspired by Lapis' soft and sweet nature. This week is all about Lapis Lazuli, The Water Witch:

I'm Lapis Lazuli and you can't keep me trapped here anymore!
Let me apologize in advance: my lighting/levels went all crazy the day I took these photos so some are a bit yellow? Bear with me, bros.

This week I wanted to take things a lot further than I had with my Garnet avant-garde look. Despite her strength, Lapis seems to perpetually be the victim and I wanted to represent her wrath when pushed to her breaking point. There were specific colors I wanted to include - silver for the mirror, dark ocean blues and blacks, a touch of teal green for Malachite - but I went in with little other rhyme or reason. I opted for using my fingers as opposed to brushes for almost all of this look because I wanted to keep it really raw. I didn't track the products I used however so I apologize for that. After everything was said and done I added a bit of good ol' H20 for obvious drama.

I'm tired of being everyone's prisoner...
Now you're my prisoner, and I'm never letting you go!



Here's full, dry look at it:

All they care about is the Earth. But I never believed in this place...

For the eyes I knew I had to go with silver for Lapis' eyes in 'Mirror Gem'. The rest just kind of happened but I'm in love with the way the blues and blacks ended up looking like stormy ocean waves.


I actually remembered the products I used here! I erased my lips with MAC's Paint Pot in Painterly. (This worked so well I can't even. Definitely using this trick in the future.) Then I tapped on some of Shiro's Maiden Queen and just a touch of Wandering Wizard along the top. Turned out pretty neat if I do say so myself.


That's the end of it! I don't have too much to say about this look overall - the pictures do a better job than I can. Plus I waited last minute to write this up while I'm at work so I keep getting interrupted. D:<

And with that eloquent conclusion Gem Glam April comes to a close! Working with Mieke and Noon as well as pushing myself outside of my comfort zone has been super fun! That, and being able to combine a couple of my current passions: makeup and Steven Universe! Hopefully we can do some more collaborations in the future but for now we'll make a return to our regular programming. Peace out!

xxx

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool. I've really enjoyed your guys' collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uggghhhhh this is amazing? It's so powerful and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete