Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sunday Funday: Manga Mania


Here's something a bit different! Makeup and perfume are fun and all but sometimes a girl wants to talk about something else once in a while. Since Sundays are really the only days I tend to have to myself I figured I could use them to drop in and discuss/ramble about whatever's been holding my interests lately. And today that happens to be manga! Honestly, I didn't watch too much anime when I was younger. Manga was definitely my drug of choice. (It's pretty much a drug - trust me on this one.) My collection has been sitting around gathering dust for quite a while (years it seems) but recently I've decided to crack back into it and I'm so glad I have! Here's what I've read recently:


Cardcaptor Sakura by CLAMP. My absolute favorite manga from my absolute favorite group of manga artists/writers. My boyfriend actually hates CLAMP and it's almost a deal breaker. Okay, that's only half serious. Cardcaptor Sakura is one of the first manga I ever read and it is just as fabulous as it was years ago. The art is absolutely adorable and there's kind of a flower motif going on the whole time which I'm really into. (I describe things so good, you guys.) And, oh my gawd, if you think the art is cute then you must know that the story itself is doubly so. It's a typical "magical girl" story with a love/friendship theme done the way only CLAMP can do. Also, I'm not afraid to admit as a full grown adult woman that I still harbor a ginormous crush on Syaoran. No shame. My sister owns the whole uncut, original Japanese version of the anime and, although it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies quite like the manga does, it's very good so I'd recommend that as well. But not that Fox Kids Cardcaptors garbage. Don't subject yourself to that. And if you happened upon it sometime in your childhood - I'm so sorry.

Uzumaki by Junji Ito. Unzumaki is pretty much the exact opposite of Cardcaptor Sakura. It's ridiculously gruesome so I figured I'd leave out any shots of the inside for you more sensitive kids. When it comes to horror manga, Junji Ito (who also does Tomie!) is top of the top and definitely another one of my favorite artist/writers. Uzumaki is a short, three volume long series about a town haunted by spirals. There's not much else to it but it never fails to be interesting! I especially love the conclusion. If you're into horror at all I'd say give this one a shot.


And this concludes my first attempt at a Sunday Funday! Short and sweet but I hope it wasn't too rambling at all. I must say though, it'll be nice to have time set aside for a little rambling now and then since I hate to bother the people around me with my weird interests. ;_; As for manga, anybody out there have any must reads? I'm up for any recommendations. Although, I think I may have to go on a CLAMP binge next, haha. I have all of Tsubasa and xxxholic in my closet and they're calling my name!


xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment